Wednesday, 27 April 2011

Vocation to the Priesthood

Fr Paul Turner, Vocations Director sends this report from an A&B seminarian:

"I started “enquiring” into the Priesthood in 2008. I had regular meetings with Fr Paul, our Vocations Director, for almost a year. I met with him on a one-to-one basis as well as attending enquiry retreats with others. During this time I also attended the Compass Course at Worth Abbey, which is designed for young adults interested in discerning their vocations. Fr Paul and I decided that I should make an application for the Selection Conference which took place at St. John’s Seminary, Wonersh in early 2009. The selection process was varied, at times challenging but very encouraging. The final stage of my discernment was my personal interview with Bishop Kieran, who asked me to spend a preparatory year in English College at Valladolid in Spain, before going on to the Seminary here in Rome.

Stephen O'Brien
So here I am! I am studying Philosophy, which is the backbone of my academic life, but the life within the College is also vital to the formation: We pray and attend Mass together most days, and our staff are here to help us in all areas of our development, academic as well as pastoral, spiritual and human. We are fortunate to be able to sample the richness of Rome’s spiritual and indeed its cultural life. The life of a seminarian in Rome is definitely a happy one!"

By Stephen O’Brien – First Year Seminarian at Venerable English College, Rome

No comments:

Post a Comment