Thursday, 5 May 2011

One Person's Journey into the Catholic Church

Sarah Ross from Esher Parish reports:
"Father Benny O'Shea the parish priest of Holy Name church, Esher baptised a baby on Easter Sunday and two people were received into the Church at the Easter Vigil – one of them being myself.  It was a wonderful celebration – having taken me some 15 years of attending the Church with my husband and children to finally make the decision to become a Catholic.  It was great to share it with so many people who have become very good friends and helped me on my journey of faith.  Anne Lawrence, who was also received into the Church, was accompanied by family members and her Sponsor, Beth Parks, who came all the way from Denver, Colorado, for the celebration.  (We are both pictured next to Father Benny with our sponsors).

Fr Benny O'Shea with Anne on his right and Sarah on his left with their sponsors
Father Benny calmed any nerves that Ann and I had on the evening and made the whole celebration very special and personal. There are a number of pieces of a jigsaw that have led me to making this decision, not least having had the opportunity of coordinating the Pope’s visit to the UK last year for Arundel and Brighton.  I spoke to so many gracious pilgrims so dear to their faith and ever grateful for the opportunity to visit the Holy Father – very humbling. It will be nice to finally be able to join in the Eucharist rather than being left on the bench!"

No comments:

Post a Comment