| Junior School of Lourdes Convent now St Bernadette's School|
Photo by Tony Mold
The convent chapel in Preston Park was the first Catholic church in that part of the City and served as the Parish Church from 1904 until St. Mary's was opened in 1912. Lourdes Convent School celebrated its Golden Jubilee in 1953 having grown from 10 pupils to over 300. It finally closed in the 1970s. The old building including the chapel was demolished and part of the land sold for building. The former junior school became St Bernadette’s RC Primary School.
The sisters’ connection with the parish grew even stronger after the school closed, working with parish groups, visiting the sick and involved in the community in so many ways. They will be sadly missed. The Lourdes Convent in Harrington Road closed down on Palm Sunday and the Sisters moved to Dublin and Blackburn.
For reflections and reminiscences on the school and the sisters go to www.mybrightonandhove.org.uk/page_id__8781_path__0p115p206p1657p.aspx