Thursday, 22 March 2012

A&B Priest Takes on CAFOD Water Challenge


Fr Rob Esdaile - Thristing for Change
Fr Rob Esdaile from Our Lady of Lourdes, Thames Ditton in Arundel & Brighton Diocese recently took on the CAFOD challenge of living on 10 litres of water a day - a reality for many in the Developing World. Read his reflection below:
“It’s certainly been an interesting experience. I personally have learnt an awful lot. If you’ve only got 10 litres of water for a whole day (two toilet flushes) you have to think about everything and about your priorities. It’s also a game of consequences: when I had a parish meeting with a dozen people here one night, that 12 mugs of coffee meant I ran out of water at breakfast the following morning. Deciding to wash a bucket-full of clothes also meant using up the rest of my day’s supply – and having to wait till after I’d gone to get some more water before I could rinse them out. And, at the simplest level, try washing your hands or washing up without running water and see what happens. The simplest procedures suddenly become both complicated and time-consuming.

“As for a Christian motivation for doing what I’m doing, you need look no further than Jn 19.28: Jesus said, “I am thirsty.” Wherever people thirst Christ thirsts. And, elsewhere, “if anyone gives so much as a cup of cold water to one of these little ones …” (Mt 10.42)

No comments:

Post a Comment