Friday, 31 May 2013

Fundraising in the Sands of the Sahara

Susie in the Sahara
Sussanah Chan of St Joan of Arc parish, Farnham recently completed a series of marathons held in the Sahara Desert called the Marathon des Sables, known as the "Toughest Footrace in the World" in aid of Farnham Disability Challengers. She says: “I finished the marathon - it was very tough but worth it! The 6 day race is broken down into different races each day- with the shortest day being about 18 miles and the longest 48 miles in one day, it totals 150 miles. The temperature reached 54 degrees on the hottest day, and the pain in my feet was almost too much to bear at some points!

I had to carry all the things I needed to survive on my back with the exception of water and a tent - so I had to carry all my food, sleeping gear and all my survival kit to last the week. On the first day this weighed in at 22lbs, but got lighter as the week went on and I ate the food.

I saw some amazing scenery in the desert and the camaraderie of the other runners was simply fantastic and helped keep you going. The race was tough, but I can honestly say I enjoyed it. Despite the heat it was such a beautiful place to run.“

Disability Challengers is a registered children's charity, dedicated to providing exciting and challenging play and leisure opportunities for disabled children and young people.

No comments:

Post a Comment