|Bishop Kieran (centre) with Fr John Inglis (left) and Deacon Ian Wells (right) plus parishioners|
The cost of the church and the priest’s house was met in full by George Pauling who had made his name expanding the railways in southern and central Africa under his great friend and confidant, Cecil Rhodes. At the latter's request, George Pauling accepted the portfolio of Mines and Public Works for Rhodesia and became a Member of the Executive Council, holding office from 1894-1896.
While in England in 1897, Pauling settled at the The Lodge at Effingham. In 1912 Pauling was granted the privilege of a private oratory in The Lodge by Pope Pius X and Mass was celebrated in his home until he built the church of Our Lady of Sorrows. The church was consecrated on 8th October 1913 by Archbishop Amigo of Southwark.