Fr. Martin was born on 7th July 1933 and was educated in the CBS School, Co. Limerick, and the Thames Poly in Woolwich. He joined the De La Salle training college in Manchester and became a Brother, F.S.C. Among his teaching posts was one in Burma which ended at Independence.
Between January and June 1978 he studied for Priesthood at St. John’s Seminary, Wonersh before joining the Beda College in Rome, October 1978 – June 1981. On the 14th July 1981 he was ordained a Priest along with Canon Bill Davern by the then Bishop Cormac in the Parish Church of Hospital, Co. Limerick.
Following ordination he was appointed as Assistant Priest to St. Paul’s, Haywards Heath 1981-1984. The Sacred Heart, Caterham 1984-1985 and St. Joachim’s, Hampden Park 1985. His first post as Parish Priest was to St. Charles Borromeo, East Worthing 1985-1991 (on his Feast he died), Our Lady Queen of Heaven, Frimley 1991-2000.
Marking the Millenium he took a sabbatical at Marianella for the Pastoral Ministry Programme. On return he ministered as Parish Priest of St. John the Evangelist, Tadworth from 2002 to his death on 4th November 2015.
The Diocese has lost a faithful, prayerful and gentle Priest – and a gifted golfer.